Filters have been available on the app since Instagram’s inception to give photos a new look. The original filters were very different from the ones available today. Instagram has evolved to a platform that allows for natural and subtle editing of photos, which is why the new filters are more effective than the in-your-face edits.
This beginner’s guide will help you start with Instagram filters and create new effects for your stories.
What are Instagram filters?
Preset Instagram filters can alter the appearance of a photo. You can layer several Instagram-made filters over your photo when uploading it to Instagram. Each filter has a different effect. For example, you can make the photo appear darker, brighter or grayscale.
Filters have been a very popular feature of Instagram since it was first introduced in the app store. They can enhance food, nature, and portrait photography with a single click, essentially turning drab, less-than-eye-catching photos into works of art. Filters can be used to make your Instagram feed look cohesive, regardless of whether you are using it for personal or professional reasons.
Use Instagram filters
You can use filters on Instagram to elevate your photos without having to be a professional photographer. This is what you need to know about how to use them.
How to use Instagram filters
Instagram filters can be applied to your stories or photos. First, let’s look at the steps to use them in your Instagram photos.
- Open the Instagram app.
- To add a picture, click the + sign in the top right corner of the app.
- You can browse through your photos and choose the one that you like.
- Click Next.
- Instagram automatically displays the filters that you can choose from. “Normal” will leave your photo as it is, and “Gingham” will slightly alter the color scheme.
- After you have selected the filter, click on it and then click Next. You can now add your caption or hashtags to your photo before uploading it to your feed.
Use Instagram filters to create stories.
- Open the Instagram app.
- Click the + sign beside the Your Story icon to add a new story.
- You can choose a photo from your camera rolls or create a new one.
- Swipe left and right to browse through various filters such as Melbourne or Buenos Aires.
- Clicking the three-star icon in the top right corner of the screen will add Effects. Effects can add fun elements such as starbursts or bokeh hearts to stories.
- Once you have found the filter and effects you like, click on the Send To button.
The Best Instagram Filters based on Photo Type
There are many Instagram filters that you can choose from. However, not all are suitable for every type of photo. Nature photos work well with filters that enhance the brightness of blue skies and brighten greens like Valencia or Mayfair. Food photographers also love filters that improve lighting and make food pop, such as Perpetua or Aden.
You may need to play around with different filters to find the best ones for your photos. This Canva study provides useful information to help you decide which filters to use.
Manual Editing of Photos
Some filters may not look right on some photos. Instagram allows you to alter the colors and contrast of your photos manually. Click Next to access the filters. Select Edit at the bottom of the app.
You can adjust the color, brightness, structure, saturation, hue, and contrast of the photo from there. This can be done after applying a filter to fine-tune the settings.
Finding new filters for stories
You already have a variety of filters and effects for Instagram stories, but there are many more options to enhance your stories. Here’s how you can find them.
- To add a story, click the “Your Story” icon.
- Continue to swipe left through the filters until you reach the Browse Effects option at the end.
- To browse the filters, tap the icon. Or use the search icon for a specific item.
- Once you have found the one you like, tap it to open it. Click the Save Effect button if you like the effect.
There are many other guides for Instagram beginners to help you get started. Learn How to Share a Post on Instagram. How to Get into Sponsored Posts on Instagram. Install the ShareThis Instagram Follow button to increase your Instagram followers and get more people to see your beautiful posts. It is easy to install and completely free. It allows your followers to easily follow you on Instagram, which will help you increase your following.